The African Sport Management Association (ASMA) was founded on 8th June 2010 during the 17th Biennial International Conference of the International Society for Comparative Physical Education and Sport held at Kenyatta University, Nairobi (Kenya). The decision to establish ASMA was unanimously agreed upon by the delegates as one of the resolutions of the conference.
To be a renowned African forum for promotion of educational and professional sport management as well as in the management of sport-related disciplines within Africa and beyond.
To strengthen sport management in Africa as an academic and a professional engagement as well as a vital contributor to the continental and global social-economic development.
The objectives of ASMA include:
- To promote sport management as well as the management of sport-related professional disciplines in Africa through academic activities, research, publications, conferences, exhibitions and any other viable means.
- To offer coordination, leadership and consultancy on matters pertaining to management of sport and management of sport-related professional disciplines in Africa.
- To solicit funds both from internal and external donors to promote through various fora, sport management as a professional discipline in Africa.
- To offer guidance and mentorship to individuals and groups at country, regional, continental or international levels on the use of sports management skills in social-economic development.
- To establish co-operation with other recognized sport management - related organizations within and outside Africa with a view to promote sport management science.